Atkins Diet Bread Replacement Options: Broghies
Broghies are a low-carb, no fat, no sugar and no preservative bread replacement.
Whether you’re in the induction phase of Akins or in maintenance, the science shows carbs should be limited in favor of healthy proteins. When you’re on induction or any phase of Atkins, sometimes you crave crackers, chips or bread- or even a sandwich made without using lettuce to wrap the meat. A good alternative to breads, without using all your daily carbs, is a Broghie.
So what’s a Broghie?
One Broghie’s wafer has 4.4g of carbs (0.02g fibre), are bigger than an average tea saucer (so they hold a lot of goodness), and they crunch. The Broghies Tostada variety only have 4 carbs each – so you don’t need to cheat or fall out of Ketosis on Atkins by eating them. While we are not affiliated with Atkins, a large number of our Broghies team have been on the diet. One of our team pretty much knows every item of food’s carb count (it’s amazing we’re still in business with the amount of Broghies she consumes while regaling us with the full carb counts.) There are no preservatives, so Broghies doesn’t leave an aftertaste. If you’re also worried about calories – there are only 20 per Broghie.
Our Broghies Pinterest has recipes and ideas for low carb diets. There are sumptuous dips, delicious desserts dazzled – not drizzled – with whip cream, pizzas, breakfast foods and more. Some of the recipes we created in our test kitchen, but most were created by our community.
Quick and easy Atkins breakfast for induction
Carb count, depending on your ingredients, maybe 3 or 4? If you’re on the run, short of time, or have a hard time eating breakfast, you can easily make omelettes to go.
• Throw some eggs and your favorite Atkins-friendly ingredients like: mushrooms, green pepper, pepper, cheese and ham into a Pyrex jug (or something microwave-safe) and whip all of the ingredients with a fork.
• Put in the microwave for about 2 minutes depending on your microwave (watch it the first time) and spoon onto your Broghie.
• Grab a napkin and go.
It would take you longer going through drive-thru. A note of caution…beware of drips! Adding sauces like salsa’s or runnier varieties while moving could be a clothing misadventure (reporting for a friend). Find more low carb recipes here.
Atkins Foods Kids Actually Enjoy!
It’s easy to feed the whole family with Broghies when you’re on the Atkins Diet and you can easily sneak in some lower carbohydrate vegetables for growing children.
• Broghies Pizza – Atkins Style. Make it a night for the family. Cut-up a bunch of your favorite toppings, such as pepperoni, chicken, bacon, ham, some dark vegetables, mushrooms, olives, red/green peppers and put into small pots and get the kids to make their own. Give points for who can make the best pizza picture with the ingredients. For the sauce, use a homemade garlic butter, carbonara sauce or create a tomato-based sauce. (Be careful of store bought pizza or spaghetti sauce for hidden carbs). Just pop in the oven about 450 degrees for about five minutes. You do need to watch them.
• Snacks. Use your favorite low carb dips, salsas, and even whip cream and break-up the Broghies to dip.
• Happy Face Atkin’s Sandwiches: Take a Broghie – the round disc shape makes almost a perfect happy face and add cheese as the base. Add two pieces of pepperoni as eyes and red peppers as the mouth. Microwave for a few seconds to set the smile. Pack in your child’s lunch. One Mother made their child’s name out of meat! Like Broghies, the Poppabilities are Endless!
Have your own Broghies Atkins recipes or even your favorite low carb dips and desserts? We’d love to share them, please send us pictures and step-by-step instructions. It doesn’t have to be an exact science.
Have a Broghies question, some low carb tips to share?
Contact Us or Like Us on Facebook and join the conversation.